What I take from today’s session is that, seeing an artwork in terms of its behaviour helps to consider its impact in terms of interaction. Its behaviour engenders a response in the receiver which sets up a dialogue. This dialogue can then engender a response in the artist which can inform future work. If the artist considers this relationship when thinking of their practice it can lead to a broadening of possibilities and deepening of significance.
It is part of process philosophy, of the idea of becoming, of dynamic semiotics.
Questions to ask:
- how does the receiver interact with the work
- what is the nature that interaction
- what meaning is conveyed in interaction
- how does it resonate in the after experience
- how does what arises affect future work
- is the level of interaction excessive, insufficient or about right for meaningfulness
- is the level interaction appropriate for the aims set out or could it be improved